Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 8: Prague

At this moment I am in my hostel typing this entry. Having visited many cities in Europe in and outside Germany, I have become immune to seeing old buildings, town halls, squares, castles, churches and bridges already. However the visit to Prag old town, Charles bridge and the Lesser Quarter made me feel that it's the first time I stepped into Europe again and I was happily snapping away at whatever I see. Prag can easily be the most beautiful city in Europe although it is very touristic. Every corner and every building of Prag seems to be so beautiful.

Old town hall

Charles Bridge - the most beautiful place to be in Europe

In the Lesser Quarter, getting ready to climb up to the Prague castle

Astronomical Clock at the Old town hall

What I liked about Prag
-relatively lower cost of living if one knows where to eat and how to avoid expensive tourist spots (I changed 200 USD for the 3 of us to use for the whole trip, including hostel accommodation)
-hostel in Prag is wonderful. I am glad that so far the hostels I have chosen are great hostels (with the exception of the one in Paris which is crap). This hostel in Prag cost 14€ only and comes with free breakfast (with very delicious Czech bread), well maintained facilities as well as a courtyard where we can grill, smoke and do what we want. The hostel sell postcards for only 5 Crowns. Use of their computers is free and there is Wifi too, and the receptionist girl is friendly and nice too. I think I should learn the useful Czech phrase from the map that she gave me “Can I fondle your buttocks” and try it on her! How I wished I have arranged for a longer stay at Prag.

The beautiful courtyard of the hostel. Frankly speaking, it looks more like a pension house than a hostel.

PY and I had our breakfast in this wonderful cellar.


Tips for people who wanna go Prag
-Don’t change your $$ at the train stations. The money changer there earns a commission in addition to the bid-ask spread. I changed my first 150USD there and actually got short changed about 7USD worth of Crowns cos that goes into that fucker’s pocket as commission. Cheebye! (Cheebye is the catch-word for ying and I in Prag)
-eat Chinese food there. They’re great and the portion is wonderful and the food portion is huge.
-Prag is easily walkable and there is no need to get any 24hour transport card, unless of course your hostel is located in some weird districts. For us I was glad to choose this hostel cos its located in district 2 which is near the happening spots.

In 12 more hours I will be getting ready to go to München to watch Germany trash Spain in the Euro 2008 finals. Sad to leave Prag, the beautiful city and the lovely hostel.

-bs

Czech-ing out Prague! The first good impression of Prague came from the very nice hostel. The door was already a medieval wooden door with big round iron handles. Very impressive. Stepping into the hostel it was all decked in old country style. Wooden furniture. Wooden steps. Then continuing to store my baggage before checking in the garden is the most impressive. Everything was perfect like a holiday home. Then the walk was scenic and peaceful. Though we were rushing a bit cos bs and py wanna make it back to Munich to watch euro finals I think we covered the place pretty well. I would have loved to sit by the river and bbq and drink but no time! This is another place after Heidelberg and Venice that I’d love to return. Just to take it the sights and the sounds again and just relax… Europe is really full of amazing place.

Ying


Prague is a splendid and picturesque place. It’s definitely the most beautiful city so far. Great sceneries and the whole place is just so wonderful. The front door of the hostel gives the impression that it is like an opening to some medieval castle. There’s also a nice garden at the back – but more importantly, comfortable beds and good showering facilities. This no doubt tops Heart of Gold.

Like Rome, one needs to come to see the beautiful places. For a person who wants to relax and nua, Prague is the place. The only downside is that the prices of food would seem to be on the slightly higher side. But if you manage to find some cheap (Chinese) restaurants or you can cook yourself, Prague should be a good place to slack. On the other hand, if you are going to spend only a few days and with some money to spare, Prague is a good choice too. The bottom-line is thus GO TO PRAGUE!! =)
(and forget about Paris)

All this stuff of food for about 7 USD in a Chinese Restaurant


It was a pity that we stayed in Prague only for a night and we rushed our exits too – because it’s the rush to Munich for EURO 2008 FINALS (Germany vs Spain)!!

PS: Too bad we were not rushing for Spain. Or else I will support Spain all-out. Go Germany…NAH.. SPAIN! Hhaaa.

~Petr~

Dancing House - perhaps the most modernist architecture in Prag

No comments: