Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 9: München – EM - Fußballfinale

Welcome to Europameisterschaft (EM - means Euro 2008)
We took the 9.16am train from Prag to München which lasted 6 hrs. Actually I had scheduled to arrive in München at 11pm instead, but since Germany got into the finals I decided to bring forward our departure from Prag, which meant yesterday we really cheonged everything in Prag in a day.

Although this is my 2nd time in München, I never got bored of the place. Simply due to the great beer, food and atmosphere. Moreover everyone was in a very high mood today cos of the finals. I absolutely never regreted bringing them to the Olyimpic Stadium to watch the game. It was also a great place to really check out German girls where they all come together for this occassion. Although I am quite sad that germany lost, I have to admit that they played terribly. Together with about 50,000 other Germans in the München Olympic Stadium, we saw how the Spanish slaughtered them. The match aside, it was a great experience for PY n YY to be soaking in such atmosphere, although I am not sure if they enjoyed being shoving and sandwiched while we’re trying to squeeze our buttocks to beat the queue into the stadium.

Tml I am bringing them to Salzburg, the 4th largest city from Austria which is a 2hr train ride from München. Salzburg is beautiful due to the river Salz that flow through it as well as the Bavarian alps as the backdrop. It is also a cultural centre with everything associated with Mozart. Hopefully they will like it.

-bs


I can’t believe I took a 4 hours train ride and queued and waited almost 4 hours for a soccer match. It’s madness. But it’s one of those things the guys said I must try. I admit I wasn’t all that enthusiastic. I mean it’s not like italy or the Czechs are playing. But I still went and gave my full support to germany due to geographical convenience. Well since I’m there I decided to make full use of the time. Tried the beer and food there. Not too bad but very expensive. Then halfway eating we got shoved around and py’s pretzel was inedible. I decided to get rid of my sausages as well. I mean who knows where it has been in all that shoving. I was not too uncomfortable though. Taking advantage and leaning on a german man while waiting. Heh. The atmosphere was great but the wait was boring. People cheering as though germany already won?!! Sheeessshhh…

The game started and the atmosphere got more tensed. People cheered and booed together. When the game ended, bs looked so dejected! (in case you didn’t know germany lost.) but the whole stadium was still cheering all the way till the train station. It was madness! Think they are too used to losing. I remembered people crying when their team lost and thought I can see some grown men cry like babies. Disappointed. Ha! Oh well. Early night for me! Cos no one’s celebrating!

I’m still sad that the Czechs can’t make it. SIGH.

-Y-
Woohoo…Watched the Euro Finals on the live screen in Munich’s Olympic Stadium!! Although it was a mad rush from Prague, it was well worth the madness and squeeze in the train. Luckily, BS managed to get us seats as the people who reserved it probably couldn’t get to that end of the train. Best of all, we got a free ride as no one came to check our Eurail pass. Before I get to the match proper, it was a great 6 hour ride for I finished “The Kite Runner” on the train. It was a great book – at times, it really made eyes welled. I believe if I had read it at home, I would probably tear uncontrollably. I had to discontinue the reading for a few seconds before continuing. The way the story developed and the way Hosseini described, I can almost feel and picture the characters and the surroundings. The part about how Hassan protected Amir simply touches me deeply and the plight of Shohab and the things he had to go through just made my heart wrenched. It is definitely a book worth reading. Looking forward to reading his second book.

Now, back to Germany vs Spain. Upon reaching Munich, we saw that the whole city was already getting ready for the big match. German flags, jerseys and other German accessories were everywhere. Hence, we wasted no time as we headed straight for the stadium after dumping our luggage in our hostel room. A sea of soccer fans (of course, most are Germans) greeted us as we stepped out of the train. These scenes really pumped me up for the match. It was near mayhem as we jostled and squeezed our way into the stadium after crowding and cramping outside the entrance for close to an hour. By the time we got in, our remaining currywurst, pretzel and rostwurst were practically crushed. So we got our beer and found seats that were near enough to the screen. We waited for 4 hours as fans streamed into the stadium, chanting and singing “Deustchland”.

Finally, the match started and the whole stadium exploded with excitement as Germany had the upper hand in the opening minutes. The atmosphere was tremendous as (almost) everyone sang and cheered in unison and on cue. BS was certainly enjoying himself, at least for the opening exchanges, including singing the Deustchland national anthem. He has certainly integrated in the German culture. It was real interesting to see the stadium stood in anticipation with every German offense and sighed in relief as Spain missed. However, Spain, true to their recent form, got back and dominated the match. It was a pity that I’m in Germany supporting Spain. I would most likely go crazy with the Spanish if I was watching in Spain when Fernando Torres scored. Too bad, I was in a stadium filled with down-casted fans. Though Spain had numerous chances to finish off a lackluster German team, 1-0 was enough to win them their first major trophy since Euro 1964. At last, they are underachievers no more. Congratulation to SPAIN – the newly crowned EURO 2008 CHAMPION. Woohoo!!!

Coming up next – Munich and PORK KNUCKLES!!! *slurps and drools*

~Pieter~
my future Frau

No comments: